Labyrinth Re-design

garden-blueprintThe strange weather we had for a few years (serious droughts followed by heavier-than-normal freezing) destroyed much of the garden.  I started to replant in 2015 (as noted on this blog), but I realized this was an opportunity to also change some basic elements in the labyrinth.  I decided on a complete re-design of the garden instead of replanting.

In the dead of winter, I can see the skeleton of the garden and assess what I have to work with. The last couple of days, I’ve been collecting ideas on my Pinterest board. Today I got out the blueprint of the existing design, covered it with tracing paper and am beginning to make adjustments.  There’s a lot of work to be done.


The significant changes I plan to make are:

  1.  Move the entrance to the labyrinth from the back corner of the yard so that it is right off the deck.

    My foot catches in the rounded wire as I step over the beds.

  2. Replace edging.  When I first built the garden, I used a white wire wicket lined with hardware cloth.  I was using the Lasagna Method for my beds, so needed to be able to load organic materials pretty high.  I am no longer using that method, so don’t need that much height in the edging.  Secondly, I found that when I was walking across the bed’s pass-overs, my back foot would catch on the wicket as I stepped over, causing me to loose my balance.  For safety as well as practical application, that edging must be replaced.
  3. Install paths of gravel or crushed stone.  I have been using cedar mulch all these years, but it constantly has to be replaced in order to walk above water after rains.  I have to decide exactly where permanent paths will be and then do the construction.  (Considerably more work than dumping mulch on the ground.)
  4. Install another turn in the labyrinth.  I modified a 4-turn labyrinth into a 3-turn labyrinth to fit the space.  If I can, I’m going to put that turn back in so the journey to the center is longer.  I’m not sure I can do this  in the space available– I couldn’t find a way to do it originally.  So we’ll mark that as a stretch goal.

I’m sure there will be other changes as I go along.  Stay tuned.







Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: